I need help! I don’t know what to call my novel.
Actually, I’m lying again – my novel has a name, I’m just not sure that I like it.
Over the past week I have been researching book titles and how to settle on the right one and this is what I have come up with:
1. Naming your novel is as difficult as naming your children. Bad news for me here as I had absolutely no difficulty naming either of my children. So rewrite point – Naming your novel is FAR MORE DIFFICULT than naming your children.
2. Be brief but descriptive (apparently most top sellers have titles of 4 words or fewer – who knew?).
3. Ensure the title is actually related to the contents of the book (makes sense).
4. Don’t use words that are difficult to pronounce or confusing (which is where the problem with my current title arises – I will get to this in a moment).
5. When you find the right title you will know – instinctively it will just feel right. Honestly, I would say this was a load of bunk except that for my second book (an unrelated novel about a 15 yr old struggling to come to terms with her cancer diagnosis) this is exactly how I feel. I came up with the title the day I came up with the concept for the book and it is perfect, I love the title, I KNOW it is the right one (although at 6 words it does break rule 2).
So, I need a title for my book. The current title is ‘Ankhari’. I know, weird, and I will have to provide a little background for it to make sense. The Ankhari is the mythical group, decendant from the Incas, to which both of my main characters belong. The word Ankhari can be roughly translated from Quechua to English as ‘messenger of the spirits opus’. So I know, weird word, but is it good weird (Oh, I wonder what that could be about) or bad weird (I wouldn’t even bother turning the book over to browse the back cover).
Other titles that I am currently tossing around are ‘Momentum’ and ‘The Potential For Greatness’.
So, I need your help/opinions/comments/tips. If you walked in a bookshop looking for a young adult romantic-fantasy which book would you be most likely to pick up, ‘Ankhari’, ‘Momentum’ or ‘The Potential For Greatness’.
I look forward to your comments on my dilemma.
The Exasperated Novelist
(By the way the name for my second novel is ‘Kali Jacobs, Please Take a Seat’ – fabulous isn’t it!)