The Kindy Kid

It is a big week in the Moller household – yesterday Daughter started school! The first day of school is always a big deal, but for us full time stay-at-home Mums, it is a huge deal. Don’t get me wrong I am not trying to lessen the emotions experienced by working Mums, but when you have spent almost every second with your child from the moment they were born the first day of school represents something more than the next miImagelestone in your little one’s life.

For me this has been a week of dramatically conflicting emotions. Firstly, Daughter is driving me crazy! She is completely and utterly ready for school, she is a sponge for information and she is literally sucking me dry. But of course, she is my little girl and watching her go off to school means that she will no longer be spending 24 hours a day in my care. Torn. That is how I feel.

And here is the worst part – for the first time in her life I am no longer going to be the major influence. Up until now, almost everything Daughter has learnt has been taught to her by me (and I guess I should give my hubby a little bit of a mention here too). I taught her the alphabet, how to dress herself, how to open a tub of yogurt, how to spell her name, how to skip and hop and jump. But now there are others whose job it is to teach my daughter, not to mention all her new found friends. And what about peer pressure and bullying and all the other influences out in the big wide world?

Stop. Deep breath. It is only the second day of Kindergarten!

The last few days emotions have run high in our household, but I am proud to say that neither Daughter nor I have shed a single tear over our separation. But the dramatic turns of this week aren’t over yet.Image

On Friday, not only will Daughter be heading off to her 5th day of Kindy, but Son will be going to his first day of preschool and then for the first time in over 5 years I will be left with 6 whole hours every week with no children in my care. Whether or not Son is ready for preschool remains to be seen, although he does finally seem to have gotten a handle on using the toilet (after a mammoth 15 months of toilet training it eventually sunk in, but that is fodder for another post!) I just have to cross my fingers and toes that he doesn’t decide to go into meltdown mode.

While I am here bothering to write a blog post I thought I would quickly update you all on how I am going with my Resolutions for 2012 (see here for the list) given that today is the last day of January. My attempts to watch 50 movies and read 50 books are well ahead of schedule, particularly the reading, in January I read 18 books! I have managed to keep up with my exercise too. In fact, the only thing that is lacking is writing. I have started editing Soul Hunter but really need to pull my finger out and get into it full-time. Perhaps it will give me something to do with those free 6 hours a week!

What about you? Have you kept up with your Resolutions? Have you experienced the emotional turmoil of sending a child off to school? Do you remember your own first day of school? I love to hear from you.

Jody Moller


3 responses to “The Kindy Kid

  1. I loved my first day of school. I was so ready.

    As for my kids starting, after being at home with them for so long it was hard to let them go. My two are 5 and 7 years old. They are a year apart at school. I cried (I cry at everything) like a baby the first day I walked away and left them both there. I relished in the few moments of alone time. Then I started back to part time work shortly after. Now I wish I had more time at home again.

    As for my resolutions, I only made a few this year. So far so good though. I have started editing my NaNo novel this week. I have started writing a new one this month too. I hope to get more reading time and blogging time but I realise I am human and something is going to have to give.

  2. I remember vividly taking our son to school for the first time. We had just moved to a new town and went to do the required paperwork for him to start school. It was about 10 AM as I recall. Once we had completed everything, the lady at the counter said “Okay, you can pick him up at three.” We stood there, in shock, having not realized he was to begin school “today.” It all worked out, though. 16 years later, he seems to have gotten over the trauma. I am not sure we have. Enjoy the quiet time!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s